Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Homesick

Today I kept thinking of Indonesia, remembering taking public transport with my mom all over the city, of the skyscrapers and the malls, the grandiose hotels, of Jalan Durian and all the time spent there. I remembered travelling all around the country with mom, taking planes, trains, buses, boats, and all the experiences. I remember the food, our favorite restaurant Bakmi Gajah Mada, and the street vendors.
Jakarta will probably always feel like home to me, at least in my mind, although I haven't been back in over 10 years and lived in Sweden over 7 years(!!!!!) now and definitely grown some roots here too. But  I miss traveling, I miss the excitement, the sun, I miss the milling about of people, especially in the evenings, and the bustle of the sidewalks. I miss being warm and sweaty and I miss the salty breeze from the ocean. I'm feeling a little too grown-up right now, a little too mature and a lot homesick.

1 comment:

  1. I do remember the good and trying times we had together. I will be going there this Sunday for a little over three weeks. Meeting friends and family too. Eating bakmi Gajah Mada for sure, I will eat one for you. I'm sure you will have a chance to go back one day. We are actually praying if we would have a place at Iin and Ron for staying for a three months stretch of time in the future. And if our relatives are in good spirit and then maybe we could proceed further. One of my friends in Bali in offering two nights free in a hotel by the beach. We are like pilgrims and strangers here, and one day we will be home, our real home, Heaven, to look forward too. Please let me if you need anything from there.

    ReplyDelete