Sunday, January 22, 2012

It's the weekend

Woke up this morning to see swirls and swirls of fast falling snow. This is the first real heavy snowfall I can remember that we've had this year. It's really really pretty and peaceful in a way, even though I know it means slower and less efficient public transport.
On Friday I picked my bonus kid T. and the girls watched the smurfs movie while I went to the gym - it took a freaking amount of self-discipline to make myself go out the door again! But I was really proud of myself and happy that I did and  it felt really good. I made one of our favorite dinners - marinated file of pork, baked potato wedges and salad with garlic mushrooms + my current favorite: bearnaise sauce.Yum! In the evening we tested our new PS3 Kinect. Fun fun! Ais and I did dance competitions and white water rafting and she really couldn't get enough!
 Yesterday I took the girls to the pool. Ais got a waterproof camera for xmas, so she brought it along and got to test it. Two of her friends from school were there as well and I began watching their interaction to see how they would play with each other and if she would be included. At times I felt like she was being ignored or that the other two girls were deliberately leaving her out or not wanting to play with her. I felt really sad and guilty in a way that she doesn't get the chance for more social exchange and exposure to different social situations. I know I did as a kid and I like to believe I've taken away something from that, learning how to read the atmosphere in a room and all the unspoken body language.
Then one of the girls' moms came over and sat next to me and said " isn't it funny how girls can never play in groups of 3?" This woman is my neighbor and mother of 3 and has a lot of experience and a relaxed outlook when it comes to kids, Ais loves being over at her place. I felt so much relief after hearing that. I suppose since I don't have a normal reference frame I could sometimes blow things out of proportion or not know how things should be in perspective, so it's good to hear comments like that from someone else who knows what they're talking about.
Last night we watched Jimmy Carr - the guy is hilarious! His jokes are definitely NOT child-friendly, but he's oh so rude and takes such liberties! Quality comedy! I highly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment