Sunday, October 14, 2012

Internet safety

I was so bored today, I was all by myself, didn't sleep well (Tess and I slept in the living room and well, I didn't get much sleep) and just sort of waited for time to pass. I read the news and even though I usually skip the horrible stories about kidnapped kids, pedophiles and such, I did watch this video on the news and it affected me. It also made me wonder where the hell her parents were and why no other adults did anything about it, when it clearly was a severe problem for this girl. Made me also thankful that bullying and such things, even over the internet are already being discussed and brought up, so that parents, teachers and other adults can be aware and look for the signs.
Ais has been wanting to play more games online, harmless games, but all of which have internet chat features, where complete strangers can talk to each other and it worries us. Up until now, we've said no internet whatsoever, and no looking at stuff online, but almost all of her friends play games online, harmless games, but the pressure is still there, she is curious and wants to check them out for herself. I realize I cannot protect her from everything, and in order to be strong and self confident, she has to experience life for herself, try things for herself, and not through someone else telling her what it's like.
So today when we were talking about her computer time, (she's going to be allowed 1/2 an hour of internet time everyday), I wanted to teach her about being safe and why it's so important. So I retold her the story about the girl in the video, obviously not all the details and none of the specifics, but I wanted her to know that even if she makes a stupid mistake, it's always better to tell someone and not try to fix it yourself, cause that's when it can get out of control.
 Poor thing was a little scared when I told her, but I think it needed to be said, I also pointed out several times that the girl didn't go to her parents or the police and she didn't talk about it, and if she had, it might not have ended the way it did.
I sometimes get the overwhelming feeling that the world is full of creeps and psychos and especially in the news, sometimes it's heart wrenching and shocking, the things that human beings show themselves capable of doing, especially to children. Even though I know that's not the case, and there are good and wonderful and amazing things in the world, I want my daughter to be prepared and to understand why it's so important to be careful, especially when doing things online.


No comments:

Post a Comment